Students accepted to the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS) must provide immunization documentation to comply with Commonwealth of Massachusetts and Tufts University requirements. Without proper documentation, students will not be able to register for classes.
Please remember that it may take several weeks to retrieve childhood immunization records. Therefore, we recommend that you begin gathering the required documentation as soon as possible.
If you are currently enrolled in college, you should retrieve immunization documentation from your health services clinic prior to graduation. If it is impossible to obtain documentation of past immunizations, you must be vaccinated again, or provide a positive antibody titer as proof of immunity.
The following immunizations are required as a condition of matriculation.
- Tetanus Diphtheria Acellular Pertussis (Tdap): One dose of the adult Tdap vaccine, in lieu of Td booster. If current Td booster is less than 2 years old, wait to receive the Tdap vaccine.
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella: Two doses of measles, mumps and rubella vaccine or positive antibody titers.
- Tuberculosis Test: Test given within one year prior to start date. If tuberculin positive, a chest x-ray or QuantiFERON-TB Gold Test is required within one year prior to start date. If history of being tuberculin positive, documentation of the past positive test is required. A history of BCG vaccine is not acceptable as proof of being tuberculin positive. BCG recipients must provide documentation of a tuberculosis test.
- Varicella (chicken pox): Year of disease, lab report for positive antibody titer, or two doses of vaccine.
- Hepatitis B: Three doses of hepatitis B vaccine and/or positive surface antibody titer. The hepatitis B vaccine is a three-dose series that takes six months to complete. For students who have not already started the series, documentation for two doses of the vaccine must be submitted by the immunization deadline.
- Meningococcal: One dose of vaccine within five years prior to start date or completion of State Waiver Form.
- Influenza: Annual Seasonal Influenza vaccine required for all students with patient contact, unless medically contraindicated. Strongly recommended for all others.
Students need to complete the GSBS Immunization form, which can be downloaded from the Student Advisory & Health Administration website.
If you have any questions about the requirements please call the Student Advisory & Health Administration at 617-636-2712 or email Lucia Fenney, Immunization Administrator.